Identity: community psychologist.
Psychology: the hows and whys of people’s thoughts, feelings, and actions
Community: all the wheres that we live, work, and play in, and all the people you think of as your people.
Community psychologists want to know:
1. How do our communities make us feel, think, and act awesome?
2. How do our communities make us feel, think, and act like crap?
3. What can we change in our communities so that we feel, think, and act awesome more often than we feel, think, and act like crap?
Why I became a community psychologist:
1. daughter of a psychiatrist: curious about why people think, feel, and act crazy.
2. daughter of a city public works official: aware that changes in the community lead to changes in people for better or worse.
3. add personal life experience and inclinations and mix.
What I have learned from being a community psychologist:
1. It’s hard to be sane in an insane world.
2. Considering how insane the world is, human beings are pretty sane.
3. People can survive a great deal of hardship if they have the right kind of community support.
4. The right kind of community support is often in short supply.
5. Communities can change, have changed, will change, and should change. Our evolution as human beings depends on it.
6. We can never eliminate all human suffering. But if we could eliminate the 75% of human suffering that comes from people being thoughtless, oppressive, jackasses, it would make the other 25% so much more bearable.
7. I am working on getting rid of that 75%. How about you?